For the Nature Lovers
South Padre Island, TX offers many outdoor activities besides spending time at the beach. South Padre Island is home to recreation for all ages.
|• This is one of 9 world birding centers in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. It is located on the bay side of the island and consists of over a mile of boardwalks that meander through the wetlands on the bay for spectacular bird watching opportunites.
• South Padre Island is home to many native water and song birds that are fun to watch.
• Every Spring and Fall we get thousands of migrating birds who stop on their journey to refuel at South Padre Island. During these migrations you will be able to view many different types of birds, some of them rare. During the spring the changing colors of the birds as they enter mating season is always interesting to see.
• The winter season brings a new batch of wintering birds to the island.
• Some birds you may see are Roseate Spoonbills, Great Herons, White Ibis, Great Egret, Cattle Egret, American Bittern, Green Jay, Painted Bunting, Indigo Bunting, Orioles, etc.
• There are also 4 resident alligators here which are always an exciting site!
• Admission costs - $5 for Adults, $4 (13-18yrs old or 55+), $2 (4-12 yrs old), Free (Under 4 yrs old). Annual passes are also available
|• This is a volunteer organization that rescues, rehabilitates and releases back into the wild various species of sea turtles.
• You will see many different species of sea turtles here and many different ages of sea turtles from babies on up to adults.
• Gerry is a famous Atlantic Green sea turtle who has appeared on Johnny Carson and David Letterman! He is a long time resident of the facility and you can even feed him lettuce.
|• This is a great outfit that provides tours via boat. They offer dolphin tours, bird tours and photo safaris.
• They cater to small groups of 6 or less so you get a very personal experience.
• Captain George Colley was born and raised on the bay. The animals know his boat and will come right up to it. This is a great experience on the water.
• Tours start at $25 per person
Cruises – Eco-Tours, Dolpin Watch, Snorkeling, & More
|• There are a number of companies that provide Water Cruise Tours either by motor boat or sail boat.
• Parrot Eyes Watersports – http://www.parroteyes.net/ - 956-761-9457
• Southern Wave – http://www.sailspi.com/ - 956-772-7245 – These tours are via sail boat. They offer many different types of cruises including snorkeling, sunset dinner cruise, fireworks cruise, etc.
• Breakaway Cruises - http://www.breakawaycruises.com/ - they offer many different types of cruises including eco tours, fishing, fireworks, snorkeling, pirate ship cruise (a favorite with the kiddies! They even shoot off cannons) etc.
Visit the Natural Part of the Island
|• South Padre Island is a 113 mile long barrier island. The developed portion of the island is only 10 miles long. To visit the rest of the island, rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle and drive on the beach to explore the remainder of the island.
• Padre Activity Rental – 956-761-1569 – To rent Chevy Trackers, Jeeps or Dune Buggies
|• Ride horses o n the beach!
• They also have an ATV park where you can ride the dunes and they are in the process of building a zip line park that should be opening in May 2013.
Dolphin Research & Sealife Nature Center
|• Located in Port Isabel, you can enjoy the nature center and learn about the incredible sea life South Padre Island has to offer. There are touch tanks that allow you to get hand-on and truly discover what these animals are all about. There are numerous species at the center, everything from fish, starfish, crabs, octopus, snails and more.
• In addition they also offer dolphin cruises